The warm, moist South Florida air is a breeding ground for excessive mold growth. Sometimes mold can be seen, but other times, particularly following a water damage event such as flooding or a malfunctioning HVAC unit, mold can be hidden behind walls, in carpet or virtually anywhere.
Signs of hidden mold include wall discoloration, intense, musty odor and excessive humidity.
Mold consists of microorganisms that when dispersed into the air, can affect the air quality and health of those who come into contact.
Mold containment is essential and timely as airborne spores spread quickly and can impact other areas of your property.
Tips to prevent mold growth:
- Maintain your HVAC units to prevent leaks, condensation and contaminant buildup
- Ensure proper ventilation around doors and window
- When in doubt, keep it clean and keep it dry
Do it yourself Mold Removal?
Many types of mold produce toxins called mycotoxins which can cause serious health issues, including respiratory problems, skin inflammation, immune system suppression and more. Mold is extremely dangerous and should be removed safely and quickly.
Many people attempt to remove mold themselves, using bleach. Bleach is a water based solvent and most mold types breeds on water. As a result, treating mold with bleach is actually oftentimes helping it to survive and grow. Only experienced mold removal companies, have the knowledge and equipment to remove the mold with minimal disturbance.
Mold Removal Services
- Mold Evaluation and Moisture Testing – Flash is a state licensed, certified and insured mold and environmental remediation specialist and can provide on-site visual mold evaluation*
Proper mold removal, depending on where the mold is detected and how extensive the damage appears to be, often requires a formal mold assessment prior to remediation efforts. A mold assessment is done by an independent 3rd party, who’s job it is to come on-site to take air samples and perform a variety of diagnostic tests to determine types of mold present, mold counts and areas of contamination. Once the tests are complete and the results are analyzed, the Assessor provides a comprehensive report which includes a protocol, or detailed plan, for proper mold removal and decontamination.
Click here to find certified and licensed independent mold assessment firms Flash has worked with in the past
- Identify moisture or water source feeding the mold, if not previously determined
- Develop Mold Removal Protocol/Plan*
- Containments and negative airflow to prevent the spread of airborne mold spores and fragments
- Mold Remediation (Removal)
- Surface Cleaning and Decontamination
- Microfiber Microbial Wipe Down
- Attic Decontamination
- Air Duct Cleaning (per NADCA standards) – Air duct cleaning eliminates airborne contaminates, can relieve allergies and can improve the efficiency of an HVAC system. Air ducts should be cleaned periodically and after any renovation project, large dust/dirt buildup and/or when dirt is visible around registers and vents.
Flash Air Duct Cleaning process:
- Inspect level of contamination to design appropriate cleaning and disinfectant procedure
- Remove all registers and vents to access duct work
- Use commercial grade equipment to clean entire duct run, including supply and return ducts
- Apply disinfecting agent to treat mold spores, fungi, mildew and bacteria as necessary
- Collect and properly dispose of dust, dirt and debris
- Adhere to NADCA standards and protocol to clean all ducts and HVAC components that are in contact with the ventilation system